Prior to settlement, the Dharug people lived in small groups across the Cumberland plan and the Bidijigal clan lived around what is now known as Guildford. In 1817, Lieutenant Samuel North was granted 640 acres and named Guildford through his ties with the Earl of Guildford. According to the 2016 census, the suburb has a population of approximately 22,000 people.
Guildford has a large variety of schools, local shops, parks and sporting grounds including Guildford Park which is located near the local Bowling Club, and the Woodville Public Golf Course. Guildford also has access to public transport services including a train station and bus services. Guildford is also home to several churches and mosques.